Brian's sketch below of how to tunnel to apache mail servers provides a good opportunity to enquire if anyone knows of a 'server' I could slip into inetd.conf which would dig such tunnels on demand? Presumably it would rendezvous somehow with my ssh-agent to get credentials. As it is I have a script I run that creates a dozen tunnels for various services (smtp, ldap, http proxies, vnc, ssh, pptp, etc. etc) lurking behind various firewalls inside various organizations; it's unreliable. - ben