Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Henri Yandell wrote:

I'm really not very impressed with the article.

case in point?

What I mean by that is, look at us, read our style in replying. We like to be slick and sharp, and sometimes email is a form of word-based chess playing made with quotes and (smart) elisions.

I looked at LinuxChix.org and, I have to say, seeing all those women ranked and doing some job I think to myself: what a nicer place the ASF will be with some women in the house.

I lived with male roomates before and other friends' too: it's just not as good (I live only with roommates from both sexes, if gay even better). It's not about doing the dishes, or about having to take a look at them when they got out of the shower or things like that, is the little touch, the vibe of mutual yet resonating differences in how we perceive reality and how that shapes the environment in a better way.

why don't women come in? for the same reason why girls put "girls-only" on craigslist. A women in an established full-man house will just feel out of place.

Oh, yeah, smarty pants, if you read FLOSS it's just about crap? scratch taht surface a little, would you?

Now, re-read that sentence.

I know Ben can take it. He will probably smile at it. He will probably like me even more after that.

Now, imagine the author of that paper reading Ben's comment. Will she take it like that? Sure she doesn't know Ben, she doesn't understand that if he does not say something bad, it means he felt it was "good enough". Silence is probably the best complient you can get from him.

Imagine living in a house where teh ASF board members lived together.

[mental image of stefano running out of the house screaming]

Look at us. Yeah, us, alpha geeks!

A little flowers on the table might not be enough to get the alpha geek-ness go away, but, know what?, it's not the result (which is going to be pathetic anyway, and they know that already), it's the effort!

I really strongly hope that efforts like linuxchix.org take off... in a few years, *we* might be using female aliases to go overthere and be able to start questions without having to spend a few months ahead of time to know enough not to look like idiots (or using the "violent tone" just to mask our knowledge lacks with arrogance).

Or maybe, I'm all wrong. And it's their fault. And we are cool and they are a bunch of losers. So let's go back and play. Where were we? Who's up for a D&D game? [sound of stefano scratching ass]

--
Stefano.