Hi,
I understand that I generalized the Tomcat community to the entire FLOSS one,
and that may be invalid.  But I still don't think the article is that valid:
most of us have fairly strong personalities, and I think a woman with one could
(and have) joined in.

The situation might even be better than the amusing living-together comparison
below, because no committer (to ASF or other communities) has to live with or
even like others.  They just have to make good contributions and respect the
rules of the community.  At least for the ASF, I don't see any sexist rules.
As to the playboy.com mirror: yeah, I see how that could be offensive, and
although I wasn't privy to the original mirrors discussion, I see we have a
bunch of mirrors so removing just that one shouldn't have any major impact.

Sites like linuxchix.org are great, and I would bet their numbers/membership
are increasing.  I doubt the percentage of women of the overall committers to
FLOSS is increasing, but that's largely because the number of FLOSS
projects/committers is exploding, and there's no way the rate can keep up.  If
the FLOSS community ever reaches a more steady state, I think the rate of women
participants will have a chance to go up.  There are at least two recent
precedents for this, in both the online gaming arena (e.g.
http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/releases/women_gaming.htm) where women are
now a majority, and in car maintenance/customization/aftermarket (e.g.
http://doityourself.com/autobuysell/afterthought.htm).

So the article might be interesting, but I still don't think it merits an
official response.  I wonder if it's a result of today's unfortunate
public-or-perish academic culture, where lower-level or non-tenured academic
professionals must continute to publish at a good pace, and the number of
publications and references to publications by an author is a (sometimes the)
key to his or her promotion.

Yoav