[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
From: J Aaron Farr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Henri Yandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

With "play nice", it's obvious that we're all interpreting things, but
with the attempted code of conduct there's an impression that it is
definitive and that I'm supposed to understand it all.

This is one of my concerns too.

Our culture is not a document; it's much more dynamic and diverse than
even a wiki can handle.  That said, I'm all for recording expected
behaviors and writing down some of our oral traditions.  I don't want
to discourage Ted, or anyone else for that matter, on working on these
sorts of efforts.  Let's just be clear that such documents are neither
comprehensive nor binding.

I keep being surprised at the vehemence of feelings against writing down any sort of documentation that's non-technical. (And I realize that this only includes the people who participate here; in my imagination there are several people who think this is such a dumb idea they won't even bother telling you). It's unfortunate, because documents like this *really* help a significant percentage of our new and future contributors - even if some of our new contributors couldn't give a damn.

I keep thinking tweaking and publishing these guidelines linked from apache.org is one of those areas where we need to just do it, and those who don't like it need to get out of the way. Obviously if you have a "this idea is fundamentally wrong and here is why" issue with it, that needs to be addressed. But if you personally don't think the guidelines are useful, that's fine: many other people here think they are.

Slight side note. What's the punishment? Are we going to throw people
out of our community for breaking this? Are we only going to throw
them out if they sign up?

Another good point, Henri.

It's obvious what the punishment should be, isn't it? [1]

Would it be more palatable if the page were renamed to something like
"The Apache Way" or "By play nice we mean..." or "A couple of us wrote
down how we think things work around here"?

Even I would object to calling it The Apache Way quite yet, since that is a tremendously loaded term with folks who have been here a while. I think this absolutely is well on it's way, but that particular term will result in more arguments than it's worth. Will have to think about good titles - ones obvious that these guidelines are not restrictive, but are - I hate to use buzzwords - "best practices" for many Apache communities.

- Shane

[1] Ah, the joys of email, where you can't have the ironic look on your face when you say something designed to be purely humorous like that.

Man, I need some breakfast, because I'm usually not this harsh in emails. Sorry.