Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> Why is the use of author tags discouraged? I found these to be valuable
> information when trying to understand a piece of code, simply by
> recognizing the style of a certain author.

1. once committed, it isn't your code, it's the project's code.  (Not from
   a copyright perspective, you still have that.  But the copy in the ASF
   is now the project's to manage.  We don't have technology leads/patch
   wranglers here, unlike other OSS projects and methodologies.)

2. they inevitably lead to out-of-band, off-the-dev-list communications to
   the author from third parties, including IP auditors, affected users who
   hit a bug, developers with patches to offer, etc.

3. they add non-ASF metrics such as who touched how many files, who has more
   merit, etc.  Simply - our measure of participants comes from subversion
   commit history, the 'participants' or 'who we are' project page, and
   nothing much more.  We summarize their contributions in CHANGES, but that
   list is rarely well maintained nor definitively complete.

4? w.r.t. style of specific authors, doesn't the project aim to have one
   consistent style?  If author tags can encourage folks to adopt their own
   style in lieu of following a project-wide style, isn't this an issue?