----- Original Message ----

It comes from experience with dealing with younger projects in the
Incubator that are not so enthralled with svn's workflows, and the
social problems that seem to result from those attitudes.  Eric is
a relatively new committer at Apache and he still talks about his
role as being like a "gatekeeper".  That's not something he picked
up from us.

> While I agree that changing tools, like changing  stylesheets or
> electing a new board, changes an organization, I don't believe  at all
> in "subversion" or even in "centralized SCM" as a shared ASF  value.

Good because although some people may think that, I'm not one of them.
The tool we use is serving the org well and that is my overriding
concern.  The jury's still out on whether migrating wholesale to git
instead of just providing git mirrors is actually in the org's best
interests.

> The license, the belief in collective decision making, our  history,
> etc. are central. Not the technology we use for SCM. We  already
> changed from cvs to svn and our world stayed reasonably  similar.

Well svn was billed as a better version of cvs.  It's not like the
workflow changed much between them.

> I see the "dscm is an unsuitable workflow for  collaborative
> development" meme as this: a meme.
>
> You can think of git  as just a local backup for your changes and a
> tool for patch handing like  quilt blended together. This is often how
> I think about it when I'm using  "git svn" for legacy subversion sites
> like the ASF. If you add github for a  public remote backup this would
> be similar to having a quilt setup exported  as a public share in one
> of those cloud backups... only with standardized and  very  efficient
> transfers

AIUI github already carries our mirrors, so we're already *doing* that.