> To try to put my finger on the key distinction I've seen, a "centralized"
> workflow puts demands on people to "make promises" up front.

Not necessarily. Enough people start playing with something. Just to
see if it works. All that happens on their local system though. I have
never seen a project where everyone is having his/her own svn branch
just committing away all experiments.

>  IOW before
> you start that work on a snazzy new feature, you have to explain to people
> what you're doing and why, and to set expectations for the final outcome.
> That's because they will be exposed to your work whether they like it or
> not, because it all gets thrown onto the commit list.

Only if you actually have the right to commit. Which is exactly one of
the points mentioned before.

> In a decentralized workflow you don't need to do that, in fact you can
> keep your branch entirely to yourself and only reveal the work once it's
> completed.

Just like the uncommitted changes in your local svn repo ...especially
if you are not a committer.

...but could we maybe just end this thread? At least I don't see
anything useful coming out of this.