Andrew Turner wrote:
Caching googlemaps tiles, and not through their client, is a violation
of their Terms of Service. Same for all the other providers.
<snip>

Here's an interesting question. What if you constantly logged your position (while driving). Then when you got back home, you could upload all of your data back to your desktop. Would it be legal to have a script analyze that data, and make "suggestions" from public sources (ie google maps, mapquest, etc) as to what roads you traveled. Once you verified that information it could automatically upload back into OpenStreetMaps (OSM)? Basically just reducing some of the time/effort required to upload information into OSM.

Better description: the script would break down each segment of your trip (like a turn by turn breakdown) and give a list of possible street names. You pick the best one (or write in the correct one) for each segment, then click finish and it handles the formatting of the data and the uploading.

I'm not against paying money for tomtom software. But if I could just make my normal usage patterns translate into more information being uploaded into OSM, then it could eventually help make it a viable alternative (which right now it is not). Bottom line, I'd be willing to contribute a marginal amount of effort, but not much more than that...and I'd be willing to bet that there are many others that would do a little here and a little there but who wouldn't do it if it was difficult/time consuming.

FYI, I have no idea how the OSM upload process works. So if it IS really easy, then nevermind. If it isn't easy. Does this sound like a good idea (and is it legal)?