On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 19:09:38 +0200
"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Librem 5 was now successfully funded.
>
> Anyone here on this list who pledged for one?
>
> I'd be interested in what you expect it can do
> what the Letux activities can't or don't.
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

Hello,

I "invested" in one.

The main reason was that it has a better "expected value" in terms of changing
the market. It was marketed heavily and a lot of people heard of it. That's a
kind of a feedback loop: the more people hear about something, the more likely
they will buy, the bigger the chances of getting actually produced, and more
people are likely to fork the money.

I am also hoping that Purism has a secret weapon in the form of some commercial
funding that the public doesn't know about. Otherwise, knowing the GTA04 story,
the amount of money they raised doesn't seem super optimistic.

I don't expect anything from the device itself that I didn't expect from a
GTA04. For me, it's placing my money into what's most likely to succeed in
opening the lower layers of the stack.

Cheers,
rhn