Dear Jack and Iain,

Please remember that the folks on this listserve are volunteers and that life
intervenes. Please be patient... we try to answer queries as quickly as
possible.  Sometimes we wait for someone expert to answer a question ( we are
not all knowing.)

But from your tone, I gather you need an answer asap, so here it is:
I like untreated stone and wood for raised garden beds. Mounds of soil and
compost work fine too.  However,  using a refrigerator with possible
remnants of refrigerants in it as a garden plant container for vegetables
sounds like risky business to me.

One of the professionals who reads this list may have other ideas. However,
I'd pass on the fridges.  The idea, as always, is to do no harm.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden