Erin,

Wow, you have several jobs on your plate here:

Your produce gleaning project is quite fine and sounds like it takes a great
deal of coordination to glean over 17,000 lbs of produce for your food bank
and community kitchens.

My question:

Are any of you guys farmers? Because, "ideally growing the 100,000 lbs of
produce that the food bank distributes each year so the food bank no longer
needs to buy it(part of this would consist of a small orchard, we would like
1-5 acres)" means that you need a real farmer to make this happen at least
more economically than you can buy it. Crunch the numbers and input put all
of your food purchases on an excel spread sheet ( with the timing of your
purchases, remember this ain't pulling cans off of a shelf.) Figure in the
weather ( you get hailstorms sometimes in August, don't you?) insect
blights, etc.

Show your plan to some real farmers and an agricultural expert. My guess is,
unless you want to be Farmer Brown yourself, you may decide to organize your
food purchases a little better, but the set-up costs and maintainance of a
self-supporting farm within your program budget may seem a little expensive.

An alternative:  My opinion of prison gardens has changed a great deal since
I wrote about it last.  For the purposes of feeding the hungry in your part
of the world, if the government of British Columbia decided that a prison
farm dedicated to the raising of x 100,000s of pounds of food a year was a
social project that it wanted to engage in, investing moneys for land,
equiptment and a secure environment for the farm, it might be a win-win all
around.

The prison might be run as a "trustee farm" farmed by inmates on good
behavior or little history of violence.  The idea that the food was going to
feed hungry seniors and families might be a way to rehabilitation, "giving
something back."  To work well, the program should be voluntary, a
privilege.

Your "small farmers market to help raise funds and use the farm/market as a
training and educational site for youth/low income individuals" could be
expanded as an ex-convict halfway house type program.

Re: "The city has also approached us to act as stewards for their community
gardens. We would like to see this happen, if people in the gardens grow a
small portion for the food bank, is this unrealistic?"

My take: The city wants you to deal with the headache of managing their
community garden programs and privitize the jobs they had to create to
coordinate these gardens by having you do it for "free." Professional
community garden coordination is a hard job - think about it

Getting folks in established community gardens to suddenly start to meet the
quotas you would need to grow for your food bank/community kitchen might be
a non-starter, especially as many grow for their own low-income families.
The "grow a row for the hungry" program has provided some food for food
banks, but no where near as much as you would need.

Land leasing, purchase, etc is always a challenge. Your solutions would be
local. Not to rain on your parade, but it's a problem that community
gardeners and not-for-profits deal with all the time. It ain't easy.

Good luck with your plans...hope you prove me wrong.

Adam Honigman