Please tell us the story about the 150k garden!!!!
Can't wait to hear it...
Deborah
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Call
  To: John Verin
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 7:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [cg] land options

  This past spring, an elderly gentleman was out walking about when he strolled
into our garden.  After greeting him (shaking hands, exchanging names, we do
that a lot in the south), he began talking about his past.  He told me when he
was about 20 or so, the land our garden now occupies once belonged to farmers
who tried to make a living growing crops and selling their harvest locally.  He
said when WWII began, the gov't (Feds) bought up alot of the farms in the area
to expand their military base, the Redstone Arsenal.

  Today, this land our garden now occupies had been vacant for many years.  The
elderly genteman looked around and said "What is this garden for?"  I thought
about his story and said "Ya know, its really strange how things work out".

  He said "what do you mean?".

  I said "this land once belong to farmers feeding the community, then
purchased by the gov't, and now today this land helps feed the community again
(elderly and homebound)".

  The land is still owned by the Feds but the City of Huntsville leases it from
them for a buck a year for the next 99 years.  No taxes.  No additional
charges.  The labor is free via local volunteers who plant, maintain and
distribute its harvest freely to those less fortunate.

  Funny how things work out.

  Jim Call,  CASA Community Garden Volunteer Director
                 www.casagarden.com

  Oh yeah. When I get a chance, I will have to tell you this one.

  "What would you do if you received a gov't grant for 150K to start a
community garden?"  An unbelievable story.

  Unfortunately, this is not related to the CASA Community Garden.