This has happened to me as well, but earlier in the year. I would "block" the nest while I worked in the garden (I had an old winter hat I threw over the hole, which I marked with some rocks) and it seemed to keep me safe enough. Here in Vermont, getting stung is preferable to being attacked incessently by dear flies, or horse flies, or no seeums, or whatever else happens to be biting. Course, I can't say I'm as tolerant of white faced hornets... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike McGrath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: <[email protected]> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 9:08 AM Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Help with ground wasps
> Then don't worry--Yellowjacket colonies get huge in fall but all the > workers > die in the first frost. A few queens survive in leaf litter and such to > begin new colonies next year, but they won't re-use that nest. > (And don't worry about ground nesters in Spring; those are harmless, > highly beneficial native bees.) > And here we go--first time I disagree with Ken! Yes, these wasps are > beneficial--they eat lots of pest caterpillars (I'm not aware of them > doing > much pollination, but I'm sure they do some). > But they are also highly aggressive stingers that can sting repeatedly > and enjoy doing so. Unlike bees, yellowjackets are a danger to anyone in > their area. > ---Mike McG > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: "Mike McGrath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:47 PM > Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Help with ground wasps > > >> Yale grad, but still in New Haven. Thanks! Cordalie >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "Mike McGrath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> To: "Ken Hargesheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> Cc: <[email protected]> >> Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:34 PM >> Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Help with ground wasps >> >> >>> Perhaps more importantly, "cordalie.benoit"--you appear to be at Yale, >>> yes? (People--announce your locations please!~) Your yellowjacklets have >>> maybe days to live... >>> ---Mike McG; Temple Univ., NFG ('73) >>> ----- Original Message ----- >>> From: "Ken Hargesheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>> Cc: <[email protected]> >>> Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:19 PM >>> Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Help with ground wasps >>> >>> >>>> Please, leave the yellowjackets alone. They are beneficials. Bees >>>> sting. >>>> Do you want to get rid of them, also? We must have the pollinators or >>>> we >>>> starve. Anyone who does not like pollinators needs to stay out of the >>>> garden. >>>> >>>> Ken Hargesheimer >>>> -------------- next part -------------- >>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed... >>>> URL: >>>> http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20071011/6cd835cb/attachment.html >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of >>>> ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA >>>> and >>>> to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org >>>> >>>> To post an e-mail to the list: >>>> [email protected] >>>> >>>> To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: >>>> http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> > > > > _______________________________________________ > The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of > ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and > to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org > > To post an e-mail to the list: [email protected] > > To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: > http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org > _______________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [email protected] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

