Hi, Folks!

I hope someone in NYC is printing out all these tributes to Adam and will
give them to his son, Daniel.  It has to be terribly hard to lose both of
your parents (especially when they were such wonderful people) in 5 years
and the prayers of our church are with Daniel at this time.

If the family sets up some type of memorial to Adam, please post it here so
that those of us who live outside of NYC can contribute.

I also hope ACGA sets up some type of memorial fund in Adam's memory -- I
can't think straight right now about what it should be, but something
important should be done because Adam was a source of great support for
those of us who tried to persevere in our dream of community gardening in an
often-hostile "community gardens are a temporary use until someone with
money put buildings on that land" world.

His two laws of community gardening "Community Gardening is 50% gardening
and 100% politics" and "Land Use is A Blood Sport" should be prominently
displaced on the ACGA website -- forget those two laws and if you don't yet
hold title or long-term lease to your community garden's land -- you WILL
lose your community garden.

That all said, I just took Adam's e-mail address off my Garden Update e-mail
list and I can't stop crying.  Most of the time, we just supported each
other on the list as the "pain-in-the-ass" New Yorker and the
"attytood"-filled Philadelphian.  

However, in 2002 when the Food Network asked me to come to NYC as the
"garlic expert" for the garlic episode of "Follow That Food" Adam and
Allegra couldn't have been more gracious in giving my then-fiancé and I
directions on how to get to the Food Network's taping restaurant, going out
to eat afterwards, showing us NYC and making sure we got to our train.
Adam's graciousness in person and love of the city convinced us to make our
honeymoon at ACGA's NYC conference later that year and we had a wonderful
time with Adam, with the city and with fellow community gardeners.

Throughout his depression, I would e-mail him to remind him that St. John's
United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden WOULD NOT exist at this
time without his support and advice since 2005 when everything went very,
very wrong.  (Currently, Housing Authority of Chester County personnel are
tracking my public e-mails -- especially on this list -- so that they can
sue the church for my comments!)  No matter how nasty and underhanded things
got, Adam had seen it before and provided helpful political advice that has
keep this community garden going.  I, personally, and the community garden
as an entity, could not have come this far -- and have the stomach to
continue -- without him.

Guess I'm the only acid-tongued person left on this list! :'( I miss Adam
terribly and the current fight to save St. John's United Church of Christ
Organic Community Garden will be so much harder without his support.

May God bless his family and may he and Allegra find peace with each other
and with God.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth

A mission of 
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA  19460




_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to