I used sides on the beds when I first made them but no longer.  Not
necessary.  It is for looks only. Get the tree trimming companies to deliver
to free trimmings to put in the paths.

I suggest to use framing metal pieces [I have forgotten what they are
called].  That way the screws go into the side of the lumber and not the
ends and split, etc.  I suggest that you use galvanized screw shank nails.
 Will not pull out.

Ken Hargesheimer