----------
>From: Bill Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Compact Macs)
>Subject: Re: Some questions about an accelerated SE
>Date: Tue, Jul 23, 2002, 6:11 PM
>

> Yo compacters everywhere,
>
> To this dated thread, the -p said about the reliability of old hard drives:
>
>>...the 20MB Miniscribes in the SEs were far and away the worst. The

I posted on this theory some many weeks ago. I don't know how the idea that
these drives are bad came to be.

I picked up twenty SEs a few months back, from an elemetary school here in
town. All but 5 survived sitting in a parking lot for three months. All but
6 of the Miniscribe 20MB hard drives worked. Some were sold, and there are
still 7 on my back porch. All these, including the few sold, STILL have
working Miniscribe 20 hard drives. I've owned dozens in the past whose
failure rate is well under 20 percent.

The statement that these drives are bad just doesn't hold water.

Jeff