Hi, David.

I think the matter is simple than you think. As far as I know, the SE doesn't
have any problem booting from internal hard drives (given that connections,
terminators, etc. are correctly set up).

I suppose that you are using an SCSI setup utility to prepare your disk. If you
are using Apple HD SC Setup utility, you must know that, unless you patch it (or
get a patched version) it won't allow you to prepare non-Apple drives. You can
get a patched version of Apple HD SC Setup from my FTP server:

ftp://grijan.cjb.net:21000/Macintosh/Software/Utilities/hd_sc_setup_735-patched.sea.bin

If this patched Apple HD SC Setup doesn't see the drive (which I doubt), you most
likely have a hardware problem. If it sees it, you can try the "Update" option,
and if it doesn't work, you can try the "Initialize" option. This may get your
drive working.

Greetings,

Antonio Rodríguez (Grijan)
<ftp://grijan.cjb.net:21000/>