Yeah thats true. Some of us (like me) grew up with compacts (Apple IIs were old school for me, being born in '83). I get a new computer basically once every 3-4 years or so. I have a superdrive 15 inch iMac, iMac DV SE, and original iMac, to illustrate the every 3-4 years progression. Regardless of the upgrading, I love having my old machines around. I do not use them for everyday use, or emailing like some. But I do make sure they are restored and that they appear and function like they did they left the factory. Kind of like having a stock classic car. But no matter how much I upgrade, ill hold onto them.

-John

People are into computers for different reasons.  Part of the
community is bound to stick around regardless, simply because they
like the old machines.  Part of the community will move on regardless,
as newer machines meet their price point.  I suffer from a bit of
both: I slowly upgraded as the 68040s became cheaper, but finally
stopped at the PowerPC models.  With a lot of the community moving
on to first generation PowerPCs, I have found myself reaching back
in time and playing with the compact Macs (and branching out to
other machines, like the Amiga).