Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:32:25 +0100
From: Paul Brierley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Networking an SE/30 to an iBook

Howdy Folks,

Well, I've got a problem. I've been trying to connect my SE/30 to my
iBook G4 for a while now using a direct ethernet connection, but with no
success. Any input is welcome!

1. The Machines
I'm connecting an SE/30 with 80MB RAM and a IIsi ROM SIMM with one of
the Asante ethernet cards (10BaseT) which Stuart & Hal shipped to the UK
a while back. The other machine is an iBook G4 800MHz.

2. The OS
I've been trying for a while now, so I've tried with the SE/30 running
under both System 7.0.1 and System 7.5.3, whilst I've got OS X 10.3.3
running on the iBook.

3. The Problem
Both machines are connected by an ethernet crossover cable. I followed
the networking advice on threemacs.com but no joy so far. The SE/30
cannot see the iBook at all. Meanwhile, I can only see the SE/30 from my
iBook by using the Network utility and searching my Appletalk network
for specific machines (whatever I name my SE/30, it turns up under that
name on the iBook - no sign of the shared drives and folders, though).

4. What I've done to date.
I checked the cable and it's a crossover cable - not a regular cable. I
took out the IIsi ROM SIMM and plugged back in the original SE/30 one. I
switched from System 7.0.1 to System 7.5.3. I changed the jumper
settings on my Asante network card. I changed the port speed of my iBook
from automatic to 10Mbps. All this, and still no joy. I can see the
SE/30 under a Localtalk search, but can't get either computer to see any
shared folders on the other. And yes, I do have Appletalk switched on on
both machines!

Please help! I'm going insane!

Paul

Have you tried connecting via typing in the TCP/IP address? I have a SE/30 running 7.5.3 with Appleshare Client 3.7.4, and I can see a Pismo running 10.2.8 and iMac and TiBook running 10.3.3 using that method. Of course this is through a couple of routers, too. I cannot see the SE/30 from any of the newer machines, but I believe that is because one of the routers doesn't pass AppleTalk.

---
JSH
TiBook