-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Drake
Sent: 28 November 2006 21:37
To: Computer Go
Subject: [computer-go] Making Java much faster

Everyone here has offered me all kinds of useful advice on speeding up
or otherwise improving Orego. In thanks, I offer a recent (to me)
discovery about how to make Java programs run much faster. Instead of

java MyProgram

do

java -server MyProgram

It's not entirely clear what the difference between "server mode" and
the default "client mode" is -- maybe just-in-time compilation? In any
case, I found that it nearly doubled the speed of a small program.

Peter Drake
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Lewis & Clark College
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/