Hi Hideki,

I think what I will do is use ELO and a simple formula for
determining handicap.   The formula will impose a slight
curve on the value of a handicap stone, it will slightly
increase with each ELO point.   In other words a stronger
player will benefit more from having an extra stone and
the handicap will be chosen appropriately.

Of course the formula will be an assumption.   I will either
build something in to the server to make gentle modifications
over time, or I will manually adjust the parameters from time
to time based on the data collected from the server.  It will
be easy to tell if the handicaps are too aggressive or too
conservative after a lot of data is collected.

The initial formula will assume the stronger players on 19x19
CGOS need 1 handicap stone to overcome 100 ELO points.  This
seems to be fairly standard in servers and I think it's probably
a good starting point.    Since computer programs do not
represent very strong players at 19x19 I don't think there is
a great deal of "rank compression" at these levels, so I can
imagine that this will be a reasonable starting point for the
stronger players.

Of course 100 ELO per stone will probably not work well with
the really weak players (and may even be wrong for the strong
computer players) so one way or another we will have to converge
on a formula that tries to be as fair as possible.   There seems
to be a large range of computer playing skill on CGOS, from zero
ELO to 2200 without any large gaps.    This may look different
at 19x19, we shall see.

I think our formula will require 2 constants that can be
adjusted to control the shape of the curve.   I will come up
with something but I will be happy to take suggestions too.

Like everything else that has to do with ratings, rankings,
handicaps, etc  this is all an estimate and will never be
100% perfect.   But I think we can make the attempt to fit
the data according to the results to be as fair as possible.

- Don