>>You can always make a bigger board. ...
> raw computing power isn't the only way. Mathematical solutions might
> easily reduce the search space just enough to allow a full search of
> what's left of it.

I fully agree, assuming your definition of "mathematical" allows
multiple techniques, such as pattern database and both local and global
search.

And they might be techniques that work regardless of board size. Isn't
the discovery of such mathematical solutions, or the discovery of the
methods to discover such solutions, the reason we all spend so much time
and effort on computer go?

Darren