From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Sent: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 7:25 PM
Subject: [computer-go] The problem with random playouts

I've attached a 9x9 game; a complex game that ended in a 2.5pt win for
white (at 5.5pt komi).

When I run random playouts on the terminal position (at 6.5pt komi, so
actually W+3.5) the results are surprising. With 20 playouts black wins
9. When I increase to 1000 playouts black wins 564.

I assumed it was due to one side doing an atari and the other side not
responding. So I modified the move selection to favour ataris and saving
stones in atari some of the time. As I increased the probability it
actually got worse (black wins 590/1000) then back to where it started
(568/1000).

It seems this is just a position that monte carlo will struggle with:
black has explicit eyes, white does not, so random thrashing will favour
black.

I realize UCT (or whatever) search from here should play correctly. But
what bothers me is that when the game is being decided at move 27, UCT
will be going maybe 10 moves deep, yet even if it was 30 moves deep it
would still be getting the wrong answer.

My conclusion is that random playouts will never produce a very strong
player (within realistic resource limits); I now see why heavy playouts
performed so much better in Don's experiments. I also suspect the
playout style may need to be modified for stage of the game.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions. I'd also be very interested to
hear what people think are the quickest (in CPU time) changes required
to playouts in order to get random playouts to score this position
correctly (e.g. less than 10% black wins). The above results were using
libego "out of the box", so it is easy to prove your theory experimentally.

Darren

--
Darren Cook
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese free dictionary)