>>> The statement "will never give a strong computer go program."  is rather
>>> devoid of meaning.  You either should define "strong" ...
>> OK, I'll add something. By strong I mean dan level.
>
> In that case, the statement seems downright wrong.  We know from both
> theory and Dan's experiments that there is no limit to the strength of
> UCT with random playouts.  Maybe you only meant MC Go without UCT?

No, with UCT; the original statement [1] was qualified with "reasonable
CPU resources". In fact, the whole point of the article was that once
you reach dan level of play the opponent will be steering the game to
positions where random play will give poor evaluations, and the UCT tree
will need to be expanded out almost completely - the random playouts are
not helping.

I don't know if that means 1-dan or 6-dan; at whatever level a player
can accurately count a (9x9) game at move 15 (the player will make the
assumption of quiet play and standard moves by both sides for the rest
of the game) and adjust his style of play accordingly.

Darren

[1]: "Conclusion" section of:
http://dcook.org/compgo/article_the_problem_with_random_playouts.html