On 7/20/07, Ian Osgood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My beginner UCT program (http://www.quirkster.com/forth/fgp.html)
uses bitboards because it is very simple to express the rules of Go
using bit operations. However, a mailbox board which contains
references into string objects which incrementally merge, split, and
track their properties (stones, liberties, neighboring enemy strings)
is likely to be faster in the long run and on larger boards, though
far more complicated to implement correctly.

I've thought about bit boards, but my big stumbling block is how to
efficiently handle captures.  I can't think of any way to detect
zero-liberty chains without explicitly specifying a chain to check.  Given a
specific position (say the neighbor of a point played), I don't know how to
look up the chains surrounding it efficiently.  Have you been able to solve
any of these problems?

I did look at the code, but the language is sufficiently foreign to me that
it's not easy to zero in on one function and know what it's doing.  What
language is it written in?