No. Erik is wrong even in theory. An arguement can fault in two
aspects:assumption and logic. His arguement faults on the former, even his
logic is iron clad. He assumed the existence of an Oracle, which we all know
is incorrect.

'We' seem to be drifting away a bit here...

Adaptation is something that is easily observed with relatively stupid
entities. To some extend I agree that such an observation probably
indicates some kind of intelligence, but on the other hand, the world
is full of adaptive systems which for some reason several of the
earlier posters here would not consider to be intelligent.

Once the level of intelligence of some artificial system would move
far beyond the level of the observer he may no longer be able to
observe the adaptation or learning (and with human observers in
complex domains we probably don't even need to go to oracle-level for
that).

However, does that mean the system would now be considered
unintelligent, or stupid, just because adaptation stopped or because
we simply can't detect it? I don't think so! I guess most ordinary
humans might even consider this system to be incredibly intelligent.
But how do they get to that conclusion without observing any
adaptation or learning?

E.

BTW Oracles are a useful tool for theory. Moreover, in practice they
can be constructed for sufficiently small well defined finite domains
such as small board Go, six-men chess (end)games, etc.