On 10/11/2007, Nick Wedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chris Fant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >>  A beginner could easily run gnugo for a day or two, get a 7k rank for the
> >> gnugo account, then replace gnugo with an account that moves randomly for a
> >> few moves then resigns. Play this new robot as white with handicap 6, and
> >> you will soon get a dan-level account.
> >
> >On the surface, that sounds like a broken system.  That is only my
> >opinion based on my limited knowledge of the situation you describe.
>
> It isn't broken, in the sense that a beginner can't do that, because he
> won't be able to get the bot's account rated.
>
> It is broken in the sense that even as things stand, he can persuade his
> big brother to open an account, win games, get a 2-dan rating, and then
> throw games to him.  I don't see how any system could prevent this.

This can be done relatively easily using network algorithms.
Essentially your throttle how much of a contribution each other player
can make to a player's rank. This throttling would probably be done
relative difference in the rank between players and the square of the
size of the pool of players.

Such a metric would actually benefit all players, by encouraging them
to play as many different other players as possible and avoid the
formation of player cliques. One would have to ensure that you weren't
penalising player who always played at a certain time of day in a
certain timezone, however.

 cheers
stuart