>I think that's somewhat contrived as well. I don't have that good idea
>about all the populat computer go algorithsm, do you have example of
>reasonably performing algorithm with these properties?

A standard alpha-beta driven search takes exponentially more time
with search depth, so an exponential increase in speed results in
a very small incremental improvement in "seeing'.  Improvements
in the quality of the evaluation at anything less than exponential
cost more effective at improving playing strength.