Seo,

All I described was the scientific method plus simple probability theory combined with using intuition to explore unknown unknowns creatively. For a layman's explanation into this world, see the works by Talib of "Fooled by Randomness" and "The Black Swan".

Not sure about your analogy either. If their theory is "Extra Terrestrial Intelligence exists", has their been evidence provided to invalidate the theory? I had not heard of any. And our existence certainly supports the speculation within the theory, i.e. We exist. Therefor it is possible other intelligence exists. And I am suspicious any evidence "invalidating" the core theory (given it is a simple and encompassing as I have summarized above) could be found anyway. It would require searching the entire universe in a very short period of time as longer periods of time, like millions of years allow for possible emergence of evolutionary life forms after the area has been searched.

As to your then applying the analogy to computer chess/go - don't see the connection.

Jim