As I understand it, gtp is for one way communication.  I've heard of this as
an issue when developers try to provide output for the benefit of players
(or bot developer debugging the bot)

There's typically work-arounds that we use to overcome this.
On kgs, to inform the players, the version command is typically made very
long to provide instructions.  Similarly, kgsGtp's config supports a few
lines of text to print at key points in the game.  I don't know if it's
possible to get kgs to display all of them.

time_left is at the whim of the server.  KGS and CGOS both provide it prior
to every move (even when replaying a game).  Neither provide the opponent's
time left, which could be useful.

A flat picture of the board erases super ko details.  kgsGtp does support
replaying the entire game from the beginning (such as when the bot does not
support undo).  I agree, however, that your additional functionality could
be useful.