On Dec 10, 2007 10:07 AM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I forgot mention why FEN is flawed.   It's because it fails to capture
> the complete state of the game.   It records en-passant information and
> color to move,   but it's does not capture position history so you
> cannot detect draws due to positional repetition.

At least in chess there are irreversible moves (pawn moves and captures)
which guarantee that any position achieved before will not happen again. So
one could write an UCI engine that would send the last position after an
irreversible move followed by the sequence of moves since then.

In GO, this is probably a more serious problem.

Yes, there is no such thing as an irreversible move in go. I think we are
stuck with sending the whole list of moves every time we want to describe
the current state of the game.

Álvaro.