David Fotland wrote:
> I don't think traditional go programs "tally features and weights".  They
> estimate the final score.

When I say "tally features and weights" I really mean that they estimate
the final score.   They basically tally the number of intersections
expected to be won, although I'm sure there is a great deal of
sophistication in this.     I have seen descriptions where they estimate
a groups survival likelihood, and if it's say 50% they give it 50% of
the area encompassed.

> There have been prior global game tree approaches.  Handtalk and GO
> Intellect and SmartGo did global searches a decade ago.
>
> This is not to detract from UCT, which works very well.  UCT/MC programs
> make moves that look very unnatural, so in that sense they don't play at all
> like humans play go.

It's the approach I believe to be more human-like.   Not necessarily the
playing style.

- Don