> From: Jason House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I've done some dabbling (thought experiments) with  how I'd like to cache
search results and I'm not yet happy with any of them.  Not taking into
account miai and such logic could > > lead to excessive storage bloat.  I'd
love to enter a discussion talking just about how to store cached L&D search
results.

Many Faces does life and death search at the root before the main search.
It typically allocates a few hundred nodes to life and death search.  Since
the search is best-first, it keeps the search trees from move to move.
Later searches can extend earlier ones.  The trees are small, so it doesn't
cost much to keep them.

During evaluation tactical search results are cached, but the search tree is
not.  During a main search to find the move to play, Many Faces does a few
million nodes of tactical search, so it's too much to cache.

David