Harri Salakoski wrote:
>>> The *average* length of a 9x9 playout is roughly 100 moves.
>>> The max length is much larger.
>> The *average* length of a 9x9 playout is roughly 100 moves.
>> The max length is much larger.
> Hmm, sorry if this is old subject but does it effect much for playout
> quality if I cut playouts for example max 110 moves in 9*9 board?
Yes, that will significantly hurt your play-outs.    Do you throw away
the results or score it as is?

I have a very liberal cutoff on my program - from any position I play to
move 81*4 in 9x9  as long as I have played at least 20 moves.

> Is that studied subject for almost random playouts.
What is commonly done is something called the "mercy" rule where you
stop the play-outs early if one side appears to have an overwhelming
advantage.    Even this is somewhat risky if there is a large group with
no eyes.     I don't use that rule but it's been reported to be anywhere
from no benefit to a minor benefit.    I have not tested it,  but the
most you can hope for is a relatively small speedup for a small risk.

> Another thing, do you include random moves for playouts, after some
> number of playouts or when there is "K" number empty points or using
> some other way.
This is all a black art - you must try many different things and see
what works best for you.

I haven't tried this,  but  it would be a major speedup to revert to
"light move strategy" after a few heavy moves are tried in each
play-out.    My heavy play-outs are 3 - 4 times slower than the purely
random play-outs.   I suspect most of the benefit occurs in the first
few moves.     Is this what you are suggesting?