On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:06 -0300, Mark Boon wrote:

> On 10-aug-08, at 13:11, David Doshay wrote:
>
> > As an aside, the pro in question won the US Open, so comments about
> > him being a weak pro seem inappropriate.
> >

> I don't see where anybody questioned the level of the pro. As far as
> I'm concerned I consider a Korean (is that correct?) 8-dan pro to be
> close enough to the ultimate top as to be indistinguishable for the
> sake of this discussion.
>

> All I tried to do was put this achievement in perspective to other
> achievements in the past. I don't think anybody disputes the great
> progress that has been made either, no matter the hardware
> requirements.
>

> I don't think a computer will beat a pro on even in ten years just
> using the faster hardware that will be avaliable by then. I believe
> considerable improvements will have to be made in the software as
> well. Is it impossible? No, it's not impossible. But it's impossible
> to make predictions about it, IMO. If I had to put money on it I'd
> rather go for 20 years than 10 years. But even 20 years isn't going to
> be a lay-up.

It's really difficult making predictions but yours agree's with mine.  I
reserve the right to change my prediction in 5 or 10 more years :-)

This is like predicting the weather - it's a lot easier to predict
tomorrows weather than next weeks weather.

But since it's so much fun, I wanted to do it with a degree of
pragmatism.  My prediction is based on the same type of pragmatic
analysis that Bob Hearn nicely came up with, sprinkled with a little
optimism about future improvement and I tried to disregard any personal
hunches or prejudices likely to skew my calculation.  But of course it's
still just a guess.   I'm not like Mr. Spock who's guesses are better
than most peoples careful calculations.

I'm also not factoring in societal upheavals that may make all of this
irrelevant such as global disasters, Armageddon,  etc.   If I factor
that in, I might have to add a few decades to the calculation!

Of course there is also the possibility of some exciting new hardware
breakthrough around the corner that doesn't just extend Moore's law, but
blows it out of the water.

- Don