Steve,

You mentioned three proofs relating to go... could you post the links to the
papers?

> it makes no sense to ask if there is a mathematical proof
> of anything related to humans.

I didn't ask for a mathematical proof saying if a computer can beat a human.
I asked in a roundabout way if this algorithm (or any known algorithm) has a
proven complexity that is somehow tractable or useful to beat humans. Just
by throwing human in does not mean you are out of the realms of math. What
about statistics? The object of many statistical models is a group of
people. So please don't say it makes no sense to ask about mathematical
proofs of anything related to humans. A mathematical proof can have a result
that affects humans. If it was proven tomorrow that there is a set of
algorithms that can solve the game in poly time.. we could draw relevant
conclusions with regards to beating a human being. Relating humans to math
does not destroy the accuracy of the relation.

whether or not computers can beat humans at go on a
19x19 board in a reasonable amount of time is unrelated
to mathematics.

Why? Let's say you can prove that the game is solvable so that black wins.
Let's say that you can prove that it is solvable in linear time. You can
then infer that we could build a machine to play the solved game and beat a
human unconditionally. Why can't you use the math here to make a statement
about beating humans?