>>* whether or not computers can beat humans at go on a
*>> 19x19 board in a reasonable amount of time is unrelated
>>* to mathematics.*

> Because solving the game is not a prerequesite for beating the humans.
> There are very obvious examples....(chess)

I never questioned that. The way I read Steve's statement... mathematics has
no bearing on the ability of a human to beat a computer. Maybe he doesn't
quite mean that statement but I was responding to it. I offered a way that
math could lead to an important finding for computer go. Most of the papers
I have read on computer go did include math. It seems that complexity of
algorithms is something that affects all go programmers alike. I don't see
why Steve is so against me pondering the complexity of various solutions for
making a computer that plays go well. It also seems that his proofs are
contested and not necessarily accepted as fact.