On 28, Oct 2008, at 11:23 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

... if there is someone who can explain to me why I have the
nagging suspicion that a differential equation is involved here, ...

I cannot tell why you have this nagging suspicion, but I can say that
if you wish to look into it deeper you can look up computer methods
for dealing with dif Eqs on a discrete lattice. It may give you a better
feeling one way or the other. Personally, in this case I do not see it,
I only see continuous parameters on a discrete lattice.

But I can add that SlugGo uses a modified version of the common
Go Proverb "The Enemy's Key Point Is My Own" as part of its evaluation
function. My experiments do show that this helps improve play in
many cases, and leads to amazing blunders in others.

It is worth pointing out that this proverb is too exact, and that it is
far better to realize that if implemented in a program as it is stated
you get the pathological behavior you mention. The truth is closer
to: "Look near your opponent's best move to find things that are
interesting" or possibly "when my good moves are near their good
moves, that area may be more urgent that a big play elsewhere."

Cheers,
David