Thanks to all who replied.

I particularly liked David's and Gunnar's clear examples of why the
enemy's exact key point is not always exactly "my own".

My foe's monkey jump is almost always better-prevented by my simple
descent; the right distance for an extension differs for me and my
foe; and so on.

Gunnar's example contains an interesting symmetry:

If it's Black (X) to play,  the 1-1 point is the worst for Black, but
best for White.

If it's White to play, the 2-2 point is worst for White, but best for Black.

So from _both_ players' points-of-view, it serves as an excellent
counter-example to that old saw, "the enemy's key point is my own".

--
"The region in which the enemy's key point lies may also contain a key
point for me, nearby, which neutralizes the effect of the enemy's key

Nah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.