Yes, Valkyria does a lot of ladder reading as well. Actually "pattern matching" in the case of Valkyria is a little unclear, it is a decision trees where the leaves are often procedure calls that looks at a larger portion of the board. The ladder code is called for various reasons in the tree.

Is 3.7.10 level 10 weaker than the default settings? I will run a test using 5000 playouts and 375 playouts to see if it makes a difference.

Also have you tried this version on CGOS9x9?

This version http://cgos.boardspace.net/9x9/cross/Valkyria3.2.6_C2.html
used a machine similar to yours and reached 3000 playouts per second using two threads. Your code is then 8 times faster and should be much stronger.

-Magnus

Quoting David Fotland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I thought Valkyria does local search (ladders) during the playouts.

Many Faces is lighter on the playouts.  I have 17 local 3x3 patterns, then
go to uniform random without filling eyes.

Against Gnugo 3.7.10 level 10 on 9x9, with 5000 playouts, I win 92%, so our
performance is similar.  I'm doing 23K playouts per second on my 2.2 GHz
Core 2 Duo, so my performance might be a little better, depending on the
specs of your old machine.