Darren Cook: <49485a64.5080...@dcook.org>:
>>> No one mentioned Korean professionals. But, as far as I know, a Japanese
>>> 7p should be able to give a Japanese 1p 2 stones and win 50% of the
>>> time. Roughly.
>>
>> I don't agree.  Japanese Professinals' ranks never decrease.
>
>Hi,
>Are we talking about different things? All I meant to say was that I
>thought in Japanese professional ranks that one rank is worth a third of
>a handicap stone. So when there are 6 ranks difference then two handicap
>stones should give an even game.
>
>I also think a 1-dan Japanese professional is equivalent to about a
>7-dan amateur. So, going back to the original 7 handicap against a 4p
>situation, then if it is an even game it implies black is about 1 dan
>(Japanese).

I'd like to say it's very hard, even almost impossible, to map the
ranks of Japanese professinals to the ranks of the amateur players.

Japanese usually estimate a players rank by the game itself.  For the
7 handicap Crazy Stone vs Aoba 4p game, all strong amateures (above
5d), who were watching the game, said Crazy Stone were playing like 5d
or even 6d.

The mistery is, however, it was the same executable as the exhibition
match at FIT2008 September this year, which was an 8 handicap game
against Aoba 4p and Crazy Stone played not so excellent as this
time.
https://secure1.gakkai-web.net/gakkai/fit/program/html/event/event.html#6
(in Japanese)

>With all the usual disclaimers about the large error margin on a sample
>of just 1 game :-).

Agree. :-)

Hideki
--