> I will offer some anecdotal evidence concerning humans playing other
> humans, from club and tournament playing experience: you will find that
> shorter time limits amplify the winning probability of stronger players...

Another anecdote. At a Fost Cup (Computer Go tournament) from 10-15
years ago, a pro player had made his own program. I think it was based
on patterns and though it wasn't one of the stronger programs, it played
very quickly. This was at Nihon Kiin, and another pro friend popped in
to visit; I forget his name, but he was one of the top 9p players. He
played the fast program, and they played a 19x19 game at the pace of at
least 60 moves/minute.

I forget if it was an even game or 9-stone handicap as it didn't matter
- the pro killed every group. But what impressed me was he made shapes
and strength that even dan players would've had to work hard to get. A
wall of stones along one side of the board naturally ended up being in
just the right place to work with joseki played earlier on the other
side of the board, stones played long before ended up on just the
critical points to kill, yet he took not even a breath to plan any of this.

So, I wonder if the blitz strength of very strong go players is
something special and peculiar to the game of go. Patterns and shape
knowledge is so important in go, that humans (*) gain relatively little
extra strength from extra thinking.

Darren

*: Meaning very strong players who've spent years studying and
appreciating good shape.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)