Mark Boon: <66913149-592c-426d-b52d-f52f3fa51...@gmail.com>:
>On Oct 27, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Hideki Kato wrote:
>
>>   IMHO, Jeff's idea is still very interesting while
>> the implementation by the staff in Numenta have been going to not
>> right direction.
>
>That was also my opinion. What I thought was strange is that Numenta's
>implementation doesn't have feed-back connections, which is a corner-
>stone of the ideas in the book.

Oh, I forgot to mention that, sorry.  The feedback between layers in
Cerebral cortex, which handle time I believe, is essential for the
function of Cerebral and thus human, anyway.

>> Those playouts are done in Cerebellum using some associative memory, I
>> beleive.  Then the mechanism, how to communicate with Cerebral, is a
>> mistery, assuming some kind of tree search is done in Cerebral.
>
>It's not so sure to me there's a clear boundary between the activity
>of the two. It seems the tree search is done in the Cerebral cortex.
>But that may simply be because we're conscious of it. It's unclear
>what exactly happens during the unconscious processes. It mays also be
>a form of tree search that blends in with the conscious process.
>Knowledge about how the brain works is growing, but I believe it's
>mostly still a mystery. The way it's being observed currently is
>mostly like trying to figure out a computer-program by observing a
>piece of computer-memory on the screen. You see bits flashing on and
>off but you have to guess what instructed it to do so.

Unluckily we have to have some strong assumption to analyze and mimic
brain right now...  My assumption is based on the experimental fact
that the blood activity of Cerebral cortex of the professional players
in both Shogi and Go increases a lot when reading forward positions.

>> The games in last Meijin-sen in Japan, Iyama vs Cho, may support
>> your thought.
>
>I'm rather out of touch with what happens in tournaments. I've never
>heard of Iyama and even Cho could be a different one than I know. What
>happened in that match that is relevant to this discussion?

The games were very complicated and their thought was so deep and
wide that the other professionals in another room in the venue
couldn't follow nor understand.  Hummm, I'm sorry but it's very
difficult to explain my idea as it's rather some intution than
logical thought, with non-mother language in addition.

Hideki
--
g...@nue.ci.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kato)