> In your (or Sylvain's?) recent paper, you wrote less than one second
> interval was useless.  I've observed similar.  I'm now evaluating the
> performance with 0.2, 0.4, 1 and 4 second intervals for 5 second per
> move setting on 19x19 board on 32 nodes of HA8000 cluster.

Yes, one second is fine for 5 seconds per move.
Maybe you can check if you have a linear speed-up if you artificially
simulate a
zero communication time ?
My guess is that the communication time should not be a trouble, but if you
don't use MPI, maybe there's something in your implementation of
communications ?

By the way, a cluster parallelization in MPI can be developped very quickly
and
MPI is efficient - mpi_all_reduce has a computational cost logarithmic in
the number of nodes.

Good luck,
Olivier