On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 06:21:40PM -0500, steve uurtamo wrote:
> > As for other things we'd like to see improved, we could build a list. My pet
> > peeve is the KGS "score estimator", which is often wildly wrong.
>
> an SE can't be any smarter than a computer player that runs in the
> amount of time that you're willing to wait for the SE to calculate*.
> so don't expect much.  ever.  recall that the SE runs locally in your
> client.

I contest that pachi's ownermap would usually make better estimates when
given the same time to run as SE (which can take a long time in some
cases). Besides, ability to manually change stones status would fix most
of the peeves.

But I guess there's no use to reiterate here all the things that are
already mentioned in

        http://senseis.xmp.net/?KGSWishlist

and are unlikely to be ever implemented anyway.

> * proof: if it were, then it would make a better computer player by
> just evaluating its score estimate at all legal board points and
> choosing the maximum at each move.

That proves it won't run in more time than time for the SE to calculate
TIMES number of legal moves.

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.