Christian Nentwich wrote:
Steve,

I wouldagree with you that writing a good score estimator is extremely difficult, probably as difficult as writing a computer player.

However, your argument of equivalence (if that is how I understand it) does not follow. Just because you can score any position does not mean you can therefore play well. If you could score all Go positions on the board, you still couldn't enumerate them all, or follow all branches in the tree.

With a score estimator that is good enough, you can score the first level in the tree after the current position, and stop there. The score estimator will tell you whether playing on 3-3 or 3-2 is better at the very start of the game, by estimating both positions and seeing which scores better.

If you're talking about a score estimator that can score finished positions only, it quickly loses its utility.