>> The difference between ManyFaces blitz and slow is also a lovely gem of
>> information.
>>> 2300  1k                 pachi-c919f    1k ManyFaces  (30minutes)
>>> 2400  1d                 mfgo12-610-2c  1d ManyFaces1 (10sec blitz)
>
> My guess is that this is caused by huge amount of domain-knowledge from
> "classical ManyFaces" used to prune the tree initially - that gives big
> constant boost against MCTS bots with equal thinking time, but with
> additional time this does not contribute anything anymore and MFGo
> scales similarly to other MCTS bots.

The above stat was from KGS, not CGOS. So, my thought was: MCTS doesn't
scale with extra thinking time as well as humans do. Which conveniently
matches my hypothesis that MCTS doesn't use extra CPU cycles very
efficiently.

Though, as you say, those foolish humans foolishly managing their blitz
time foolishly does distort things a bit.

Darren

Specializing in intelligent search (in multiple languages), discovery
of context, aiding communication, and basically helping people find
and make good use of their data.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)