I agree that group strength can't be a single number.  That's why I classify
groups instead.  Each classification is treated differently when estimating
territory, when generating candidate moves, etc.  The territory counts depend
on the strength of the nearby groups.

Monte Carlo has a big advantage in that it estimates the probability of winning
the game, rather than my old approach of trying to estimate the final score.

David