On 09.09.2015 07:42, David Fotland wrote:
I classify groups instead.  Each classification is treated differently when
estimating territory, when generating candidate moves, etc.

This is reasonable.

The territory counts depend on the strength of the nearby groups.

Whether this is good depends on how you link strengths to counts.

***

Was your influence function like radiated light? Such would have too little meaning.

Monte Carlo has a big advantage in that it estimates the probability of winning
the game, rather than my old approach of trying to estimate the final score.

Whether it is an advantage depends on one's objectives.

For an expert system, estimating the score is just one aspect for further application and does not finish the job. (To start with, a positional judgement consists of more than the 'territory count' and group strengths of the current position.)

--
robert jasiek