Amen to Don Dailey. He would be so proud.

From: Computer-go [mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of Jim
O'Flaherty
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:49 PM
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: Re: [Computer-go] Finding Alphago's Weaknesses

I think we are going to see a case of human professionals having drifted into a
local optima in at least three areas:

  1) Early training around openings is so ingrained in their acquiring their
skill (optimal neural plasticity window), there has been very little new
discovery around the first third of the game with almost all professionals
relying fairly strongly on the already time tested josekis - AIs can use
reading to explore closer and closer to the start of a game using less and less
automatic patterns thereby confusing humans who have memorized those patterns

  2) The middle of the board is so high in reading complexity, there has been
little investment to figure out how to leverage it until mid game as it has
been more expedient to focus on the corners and edges - AIs are going to get
faster, better and deeper at reading through and then intentionally generating
complexity

  3) As a human's cognition tires, the probability of reading errors rises
non-linearly which increases the probability of late mid-game and end game
errors - I think AlphaGo has already progressed pretty far in the end game

I'd consider these the three primary general vulnerabilities of human Go
playing against any future AI. Given AlphaGo's training mechanism is actually
search space exploration engine, it will slowly but surely explore and converge
on more optimal play in all three of these domains significantly faster and
cheaper than directly investing in and expending human cognition efforts; i.e.
professionals studying to do the knowledge expansion and verification. And I
think they will continue to optimize AlphaGo's algorithms in both human and
self-play.

The window where humans are going to be able to fish out a win against AlphaGo
is rapidly closing...and it may have already closed.

Other thoughts...

I think we are going to see some fascinating "discoveries" of errors in
existing very old josekis. At some point, I think we will even see one or two
new ones discovered by AIs or by humans exploiting AIs. We are going to see
some new center oriented fighting based on vastly more complex move sequences
which will result in an substantial increase in resignations at the
professional level against each other.

Said a slightly different way...even if Lee Sedol figures how how to get a lead
in a game during the opening, AlphaGo will just continue to elevate the board
complexity with each move until it is just beyond its opponent's reading
ability while staying well within it's own reading ability constraints. IOW,
complexity is now an AIs advantage. AlphaGo doesn't have the human frailty of
being nervous of a possible future mistake and then altering its priorities by
pushing winning by a higher margin as a buffer against said future reading
complexity mistake. IOW, AlphaGo is regulated by it's algorithm's prioritizing
the probability of win higher than the amount of margin by which it could
buffer for a win. What seems like a weakness is turning out to be one hell of a
strength.

Add to the fact that this kind of behavior by AlphaGo is denying it's opponent
critical information about the state of the game which is more readily
available in human-vs-human games; i.e. AlphaGo's will continue to converge
towards calmer and calmer play in the face of chaotic play. And the calmer it
becomes, the less "weakness surface area" it will have for a human to exploit
in attempting a win.

This is utterly fascinating to get to witness. I sure wish Don Daily was still
here to get to enjoy this.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Thomas Wolf <tw...@brocku.ca